For some reason, I was still thinking that October is sooo far away. Now I realize it's less than two weeks away!! I'm
SCARED TO DEATH a little nervous about this, and I'm not sure why. I've run two 14-milers and an 18-miler in my training, so I know I can do the distance. I think it's because, other than a select couple of races, I haven't run in many. I knew I wanted to sign up for a half, as I wanted to get the feel of a "race atmosphere" before the marathon on December 4. This race fits in perfectly with my training schedule, as I'm scheduled for a 14-miler for my long run that weekend.
Here are some issues that I foresee for myself:
1) - I am used to running alone. The routes I choose are not crowded, and I pass few people. When I do see people, I speed up, because ...you know...well, I don't know why. I know they really are not concerned about how fast I'm going, and I'm pretty sure they're not laughing at my slow pace or anything (and, if they are, I don't care about them, anyway). So, I'm really trying to think about how I will keep my pace steady on a course filled with other runners and spectators. They do have pace teams, so I'm wondering if I should at least start with one of those.
2) - Being tempted to stray from my fuel plan during the race. I rarely drink sports drink on my runs, choosing, instead, to use water and shot blocks or something similar. It works for me most of the time, but I know as I pass the aid stations with other possible choices, it will be hard to resist thinking that maybe that particular item will help me more!
3) - I'm going to assume that some little thing that I haven't thought of will happen (tripping over someone, getting my arms tangled in my earphone cords, etc.) I also know that, if it does, I will make a big issue of it and it will become a huge mental hurdle in preparing for the full marathon in December. I need to remember to take those things and learn from them rather than let them affect my attitude leading into the remainder of my training.
While I am anxious, I'm also excited! My husband has also signed up for the hand-cycle division of this race, and my son will be running the 5k. I'm glad they will be there for moral support, and that we can share this experience together.
1. Have you run with a pace team before in a race? Was it helpful?
2. Any tips for a first-time half-marathoner?