Running for Anna

On December 12, 2010 our family was devastated by the loss of my niece, Anna Rogotzke, on her fourth birthday, to a rare cancer called Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma. On December 4, 2011, I ran in the California International Marathon to raise money for the Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative, a leader in the fight against sarcomas. This blog is created to update those interested in my journey and progress as I train for this event and events thereafter.

....And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,
2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

CW-X; My New Love

I hesitate to write this post, because I'm afraid everyone will think I spend all my money on running stuff these days.  Yes, I just got a new Garmin....yes, I had to get new shoes....yes, I needed some UnderArmour shirts....OK, maybe I've been spending a bit too much on running gear.  Well, I'm going to write about this, anyway.  Try not to judge me.  

For the past few months, I've been eyeballing these:


CW-X 3/4 Stabilyx Tights...Just so you're not confused, this is not me in the picture, unless you don't know me...then, why, yes, it is
I became increasingly interested in them when my hip began hurting after my runs.  The description of these on the CW-X website is:

The Stabilyx tights provide optimum targeted support to the core and knees. They're ideal for activities with lateral motion such as skiing and snowboarding and for athletes seeking our best form of knee support. The patented CW-X Support Web™ bands together the muscles and ligaments of the lower leg to stabilize the knee and reduce vibration for increased efficiency. The CW-X Support Web™ also harnesses the midsection, supporting the lower abdominals, hips and back to channel power through the core. Variable compression facilitates circulation during and after activity, minimizing lactic acid build-up so that you can be active longer and recover faster.

Hmmm...seemed too good to be true and, with a whopping $86.00 price tag, I wasn't willing to take the risk.  Besides, if my UnderArmour compression shorts weren't stopping the pains, than nothing would.  (As maybe you know, I'm very loyal to UnderArmour).

HOWEVER, I saw these on sale on amazon.com (I HAVE to stop going there) for considerably less money, so I decided to try them out, thinking I could return them if they didn't do all they claimed to do.  Just a disclaimer:  I know NOBODY from CW-X and, alas, I'll never have companies courting me for sponsorships.  I WANTED to dislike these.  

You need to perform some interesting body posturing to get these on (seriously, they looked like tights for little kids when I took them out of the package).  The first time I wore them, I only took them on a shorter run of about 5 miles, because I was worried they would feel uncomfortable for anything longer (due to the tightness). Well, let me tell you, they felt GREAT!  My legs were much less fatigued, and I felt no pain. none. all day.  Even then, I was thinking I was just psyching myself out.  So, I took them on a longer run a couple days later.  Same result!  After awhile, I didn't even notice they were there...they are that comfortable.  And, again, I felt like I could go faster and longer.  No hip pain even after that run.  I've been wearing them non-stop ever since (well, on my runs...I don't wear them to work, etc.).
Wouldn't this be nice?

 I still felt there might be other explanations.  Was I trying to talk myself into liking them?  Were my muscles just improving in strength, and that's the reason for no pain?  So, on Monday, I went back to my usual compression shorts.  It was a shorter 5-mile run.  My legs seemed more tired at the end of that run and were sore ALL DAY.  Now I'm wearing this one pair of tights 5 days a week.  I'll have to save my pennies for more CW-X shorts and tights, so I can change them out occasionally (sigh).   Maybe that's why my husband sometimes is acting like this when I get home. 

 
Hopefully, that's the case....maybe he won't mind me spending some money on more of these.  

Training the last few days:
Saturday, 5/21 - 9 mi (10:50 average pace)
Monday, 5/23 - 5 mi (10:16 avg)
Tuesday, 5/24 - 6 mi (10:22 avg)
Wednesday, 5/25 - 6 mi (10:08 avg)   

6 comments:

  1. I am going to have to check out those compression tights now. They sound amazing!

    I'm a new follower and I'm lovin' your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tights look great! Any way to get the flat belly too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm these tights sound amazing...and if they prevent soreness...especially in the hip area...I NEED to check them out. no worries on the running expenses. I sacrifice all other purchases by wearing the same 2 outfits to work every week and living off bagels and bananas so that I can purchase as much running stuff as possible :)

    Also...I need to go read these comics...seriously...where do you find those?

    Sounds like you had some awesome training this week! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could live in mine too! they feel so good after a long run. Great week of training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you look hot in your Stabilyx Tights...(jealous!!). Love your blog. I will enjoy following your marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a HUGE fan of CW-X and SKINS compression tights. LOVE them! And honestly, they are definitely worth the money. I had a pair that i wore literally 6 days a week all winter and they are still in awesome shape after tons of washings and many many many miles. :)

    ReplyDelete