Running for Anna

On December 12, 2010 our family was devastated by the loss of my niece, Anna Rogotzke, on her fourth birthday, to a rare cancer called Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma. On December 4, 2011, I ran in the California International Marathon to raise money for the Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative, a leader in the fight against sarcomas. This blog is created to update those interested in my journey and progress as I train for this event and events thereafter.

....And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,
2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Every Run is an Adventure

Thanks for all the kind responses to my Mother's Day post.  It's very motivational to know that a few people are reading (even if you're doing this)!!


Something strange happened on my run today.  I actually passed two people!!  You just don't expect to meet up with people at 4:30 a.m.  I usually am listening to music while I run (I know...probably not safe in the dark), but just to act like I'm aware of my surroundings, I take out my headphones if I see a person.  Every time I do this, I remember one of the reasons I listen to music is so that I don't have to listen to the sound of my own breathing.  It actually makes me more tired to hear the harsh sounds that emit from my lungs while running.  This is especially true this morning, as I'm on the tail end of a head cold.  Anyway, the first person I encountered was an older gentleman walking his dog.  I felt fairly safe, but I took out my headphones, anyway, only to be assaulted by the sounds of my rasping and wheezing.  So, of course, I tried not to breathe at all.  I didn't want to offend this man, after all.  Anyone who has tried to not breathe or even breathe quietly while mid-run can attest to the fact that this is very difficult (and probably not healthy).  As we pass, he whispers, "Good Morning".  I attempt an equally quiet "Good Morning", which came out more of a gasp and a cough...you know...because of holding my breath.  I can only hope that he understood the intent of my response.



The second person I passed was a little more nerve-wracking, as I was on a quiet road, and there was really no reason for a huge man dressed in a parka with the hood up to be walking there (at least that I could see...he probably felt the same about me).  So, I whip out my headphones (and, again, hold my breath) because, even though I'm half his size, I'm sure he won't attempt anything if he knows I'm paying attention, right?  I even wrapped my hand around my pepper spray I carry in my pocket....just in case.  However, we passed without incident. (I'm sure he didn't look like this picture, but it was pretty dark, and my imagination runs a little wild).
Every run is an adventure!  But, got my 5 miles in and felt better all day because of it. 

1 comment:

  1. you are SO motivating...running in the dark at 4:30am!?! wow! that is amazing and so dedicated! I love it. I would be terrified to be out there by myself in the dark. Especially of that second guy. Glad you were safe and sounds like you got a great 5 miles in :) Thanks for always leaving sweet comments on my blog! I look forward to reading each of them! oh! and I totally disagree with that first picture...your blog is ANYTHING but boring :)

    ReplyDelete