Running for Anna

On December 12, 2010 our family was devastated by the loss of my niece, Anna Rogotzke, on her fourth birthday, to a rare cancer called Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma. On December 4, 2011, I ran in the California International Marathon to raise money for the Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative, a leader in the fight against sarcomas. This blog is created to update those interested in my journey and progress as I train for this event and events thereafter.

....And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,
2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Run in Pictures

First of all, let me say I am humbled, touched, grateful,and OVERWHELMED by the response so far regarding the fund raising.  I have cried at least five times this week (happy cry) at the sincere generosity and kind words I have received.  Most of the support I have received so far has come from people who see me every day and have followed Anna's story from the beginning.  But,  people I have never even met in person have also stepped up and have gone so far as to put a link on their blog post.  Again, SO GRATEFUL to all of you.  Let's keep going and WIPE OUT CANCER!!

Now, about running.... Some bloggers I follow like to post pictures of their runs.  I love that, and it's fun to actually kind of experience the run with them.  I've always wanted to do that, but 1)- it's mostly dark when I run and 2)- on my long runs, I can't imagine expending the energy to stop and take pictures.  Well, today starts a recovery week for me, so I only had 6 miles on my schedule today (that's for you, Becky).  I figured I would take the time to show you some sights from my run today.

Reno Stead Airport - This is where the Reno National Championship Air Races are Held. 


I discovered this porta potty one morning when I really needed it (I won't go into details).  I thought it was a mirage, because it's in the middle of nowhere...I don't know why it's there, but it's always clean and has plenty of toilet paper.  It's come in handy on more than a couple of runs.  I dread the day when they realize it's missing from the porta potty place and come and pick it up. 




Peavine Mountain.  In Reno, they say you shouldn't plant your tomatoes until all the snow is gone from Peavine.  I guess we'll never have tomatoes this year.
The start of one of the running paths I frequently use.

This was a mistake, but just in case you wonder what kind of shoes I wear....that would be a Nike Zoom Triax 14.  Love these shoes!!
Home Stretch
Me happy after another completed run (Judging from my neck tendons or whatever those are, I must really be straining to hold my iPhone in front of me)
So, that's my run!  Don't expect too many of these anytime soon.  Those of you who regularly do this, I have new admiration for you.  It's exhausting to stop and take all of those pictures!! 

One more item of importance...HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my mom tomorrow!  Love you and miss you.  Hope you have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. you are amazing! the pics from your run are gorgeous! I hope I can visit reno sometime! and that port o potty...seriously so lucky! haha! and you are too sweet for the shout out. I will post a link on my side bar too so that people can get to it whenever! You are awesome for running for a cause and in your niece's memory. I got your letter and will send money this August :) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED your pictures!!! Those are great! So dry.......and a port a potty in the middle of nowhere! ha!

    Could you explain how i could help post a link in my sidebar for you? I would love to help! Not sure which thing I should post, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your running pics!!! Stopping to take pictures is a great excuse for a little break...hahaha!

    Just found your blog. I'm so sorry about your niece and I love that you run in her memory. That is so wonderful. You are a terrific aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing people's pictures of their runs! I haven't done this for awhile! Need to do it again! No port a potties on my runs but a lot of corn fields which often serve the same purpose!!!

    Hope your mom had a wonderful birthday! I would be happy to link in my next blogpost!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such beautiful scenery to look at when you run, I am jealous. I'm jealous of the porta potty, too! I'm always afraid I'll get out there and have to go in the middle of a long run! If I had your running scenery, I wouldn't run inside on the treadmill so much!

    ReplyDelete